I believe that a secret of good sushi is well-prepared rice and fresh ingredients.
Please find below some step by step rice cooking instructions and sushi rolling tips. I’m not a sushi master, but my sushi is homemade, fresh and tasty.
It’s a beautiful, creative dish ideal for family or friends gathering, or the evening with your love, or Bridget Jones pic with the glass of your favorite wine… 🙂 You decide! 🙂
- 1 glass sushi rice
- 1 glass water
- 6 tablespoons Japanese vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- A piece of smoked salmon
- Cream cheese
- Sesame seeds
- 4 Nori sheets
- Wash the rice; rinse it several times until the moment there is no more starch coming out of it. Then soak the rice in the clean water for 20 minutes.
- Cook the rice. First, strain the soaked rice, then put it into the pot, add one glass of water and cover the pot. You need to observe the pot and wait for the moment when it starts boiling. When this moment comes, you need to stir the rice, cover the pot again and cook for 10 minutes on the lowest heat. Then, turn off the heat and leave the pot covered for another 10 minutes.
- Season the rice. Warm 6 tablespoons of vinegar with 1.5 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons sugar. Mix together with the rice and wait until it cools down. Then, you can start rolling!
- Prepare other ingredients. Wash and cut the cucumber and avocado into long pieces. I remove the seeds form the cucumber as it contains too much water inside. Cut the fish.
I use ½ of nori. I wrap it in foil, so I do not need to clean it later.
- Gently spread the rice on the nori, leaving about 3 cm of margin.
- Place the ingredients near the middle of the nori, start with the fish; you can also put some wasabi first, if you like. You can add some creamy cheese and sesame seeds here too.
- Fold over the ingredients and roll tightly!
- Cut the roll into pieces and start admiring your creation or eating at once 😉 Enjoy!